Gin is a distilled alcoholic drink; flavored by juniper berries. Distillers stretch the spirit by concentrating gin. The gin distillery processed the drinks by distilling a huge quantity of botanicals with a small portion of liquid. The result is a highly concentrated distillate, in which the producer adds water and neutral spirits after distillation.
What does distilling gin mean?
The solid is discarded and the liquid is used for producing gin, known as the process to distill. The distillation process is the purification method that involves heating and vaporizing the liquid and then collecting vapor, as it condenses back to a liquid.
When developing a gin recipe, you will want to think about the kind of gin style. Do you want a fruity and sweet gin or one with a citrus taste? The flavor of the gin depends on the main ingredient.
The process of distilled spirits is almost the same as making beer. Combines with some basic ingredients, you can make a flavorful gin, from these popular main ingredients:
What is gin made from?
Gin can be packed with a flavor punch, which is made from three basic ingredients:
- Neutral grain spirit. Gin is made through a clear neutral spirit made from distilling grains, such as:
- Juniper berries. If you have found yourself at the bar tipsily thinking about what fruit is gin made from and how it produces the alcoholic taste. The juniper berries as the predominant ingredient of gin create the piney citrusy flavor of the drink.
- Other botanicals. The flavoring elements from plants create their unique flavor.
How to make a gin?
There are two processes of making a gin:
- Distill base spirit. Almost all liquors have started with the same basic distilling process that involves mixing a choice of grain with yeast and water. It is fermented and uses a still to do the boiling process of alcohol, which lets it squeeze into a separate chamber.
- Add botanicals. The spirit is redistilled for the process of adding the botanical flavors. It is either done by letting the botanicals soak in the alcohol base prior to distilling or by putting baskets above the alcohol. The steam picks up the flavors throughout the distillation process.
The cheap gins were made by mixing the neutral spirit with the choice of botanical extracts. There are different types of gin with different flavors, which depends on the distillation process and botanical blend. The making of gins has been growing and leveling up due to the various names of this drink that are coming out on the market.
Old brands of gins are still continuing their sales due to the demand of the customers.